CHOICES Proverbs 1:22-33
And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
I fully believe in the complete sovereignty of God. He is a sovereign God and asks counsel of no man. God does as He pleases, when He pleases, and how He pleases! PERIOD!!!
The doctrine of God’s sovereignty is not at risk in this lesson. If fact, the sovereignty of God has everything to do with our personal choices that we make each day because He has given us—in His sovereign will—both the ability and obligation to make those choices!.
You and I make choices, important choices, each and every day of our lives. Our choice begins as we awaken. Choices about getting up! That is more difficult for me because I do not “punch a clock.” Choices of apparel. Choices of food. Choices, choices, choices!
Some choices do not have a lot of either temporal or eternal value, but some choices are of great importance and, therefore, must be made right.
God did not simply give us choices to be made without giving us explicit guidelines and help in making right choices. He wants us to react rightly to the truth that He has given us and make God honoring choices.
- God gives us the guideline of natural laws written within every man, woman, and child. Conscience – Romans 2:12-15 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish ithout law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; 13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. 14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: 15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;) (Most of the time, we know what is right and what is wrong before we even begin!)
- God gives us the Scriptures – 2 Peter 1:3-4 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: 4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. (The Bible has the answer to all of life’s choices.)
2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
- God gives us the Holy Spirit – John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. (His inner witness will never lead us wrong. It is our obligation to listen to Him!)
- God gives us godly counsel – Proverbs 11:14 Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety. (People who do not want to do right seek no counsel. People who want to do right seek counsel!)
F. There is no excuse for the child of God to make wrong choices. It is simply a matter of obedience or disobedience! Either wanting to do right or not wanting to do right. I could use many choices in this sermon but I want to look at just a few very important ones.
Romans 1:18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
- Making Right Or Wrong Choices About Salvation (It is about Heaven Or Hell)
Deuteronomy 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
God will not force you to be saved!
1 Timothy 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
b. God has done everything necessary for you to be saved! John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
c. God gives you the choice: eternal life or eternal death in hell! Joshua 24:15… choose you this day whom ye will serve;…… but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
- Making Right Or Wrong Choices About Sin (It Is about Peace And Safety Or Consequences And Regrets)
Galatians 6:7-8 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. 8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
- Making Right Or Wrong Choices About Marriage (It Is Heaven On Earth Or It Is Hell On Earth.
a. Do not make quick decisions – Proverbs 18:22 Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD.
b. Do not simply go for looks – Genesis 29:17 Leah was tender eyed; but Rachel was beautiful and well favoured. (Leah was God’s choice! Jacob was buried by Leah.)
Proverbs 31:30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.
- Making Right Or Wrong Choices About Service (It Is Happiness Or Unhappiness)
Joshua 24:14-15 Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the LORD. 15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Conclusion: Wrong choices can have tremendous consequences! God will not force our choices! “God will always give you what you want but it will always cost you what you’ve got”
Victory Baptist Church 14 April 2021 victorypalmetto.com