THE UNVEILING OF REVELATION Rev. 1:1-8
Why study this book? Several reasons! Satan hates it; It applies to our day; God will bless the study of it, we need to hear it, we are commanded to preach the whole council of the word and Revelation is a part of it. Some people believe that we are not supposed to mess with this book. They declare that it cannot be understood. Well, it is the Spirit’s job and not man’s to ensure that the Word is understood.
The title of the book is found in verse 1. THE REVELATION OF JESUS CHRIST.
It is given to reveal unto us the purposes, the person and the plans of the Lord Jesus.
Instead of these things being hidden as some say, even the name Revelation means “an unveiling.” We can understand the book and we can learn much from it starting with the first 8 verses.
I. v.1-4 THE UNVEILING OF HIS PURPOSE
A. v.1a-b The Significance of the Book – (An Unveiling)
1. v.1a The Person Of Christ Unveiled – Jesus is revealed in all of His glory.
2. v.1b The Purpose Of God Unveiled – To reveal what will shortly happen.
B. v.1c – 2 The Signature of the Book
1. v.1c The Marvelous Way He received This Revelation –
Signified; Lamps = assemblies; Stars = angels; incense = prayer, etc.) (The symbols are explained in this book or elsewhere in the Bible)
2. v.2 The Meticulous Way He Recorded this Revelation – He recorded what he was commanded, not contradicting, but building on the testimony of Jesus.
C. v.3 The Singularity of the Book – It stands alone in Scripture.
1. Embodies A Special Promise – His many promises – ( Rev. 22:14; 18-19)
2. Embraces A Special Period – These are the last days – Israel – Mt. 24:32-34. (It reveals events relates to our days!)
D. Benediction – In verses 4-5 John begins to address the seven churches of Asia
Minor. He tells them of two things:
1. Grace – That God’s mercy is available to all, and that He will see His people through.
2. Peace – That even in the midst of turmoil, He is still the Prince of Peace.
He also reveals who this message is from:
1. God the Father – Ex. 3:14
2. God the Spirit – In the plentitude of His power (The first of many sevens!)
(Stars, churches, lamp stands, 7 times 7, etc.)
3. God the Son
II. v.5-6 THE UNVEILING OF HIS PERSON
A. v.5 The Threefold Ministry Of Jesus
1. His Prophetic Ministry – Faithful Witness He witnesses to:
a. The Nature of Sin
b. The Necessity if Righteousness
c. The Nearness of Judgment
d. The News of salvation (Isa. 55:4)
2. His Priestly Ministry – First Begotton from the dead)
a. The offerer of the perfect sacrifice – His pure Blood, and the intercessor for men’s souls, Heb. 5:6; 7:25.
b. The first to rise to die no more, the promise of more to come – 1Co.15:3-23 ( First Begotton = Protokos – The prototype of what is to follow!!)
3. His Prospective Ministry – Ultimately, He will be ruler of Heaven and earth – 1 Tim. 6:15
B. v.5b-6 The Threefold Reason For Praise (John’s Doxology)
1. v.5b He Loves Us –
a. Personal love – John 3:16
b. Everlasting Love, Jer. 31:3
2. v.5b He Loosed Us –
a. He Washed Us From Sins Stains – 1 John 1:7 – Total cleansing
b. He Loosed Us From Sins Chains – Rom. 6:6-7
c. He Freed Us From Sins Claims – Rom. 6:23
3. v.6 He Lifted Us
a. Kings – Reign with the Lord Jesus – Romans 5:17
b. Priests – Need no other stand in.
We have direct access to the Holy of Holies. Heb. 10:19. (He is worthy to be praised. Dominion will be returned to him some day very soon!)
III. v.7-8 THE UNVEILING OF HIS PLAN
A. v.7a An Immediate Plan – To return in glory – John 14:3
( Second Coming is in 2 parts -Rapture and Glory
B. v.7b An Ultimate Plan – To Rule over all – Heb. 10:12-13
C. v.8 The Key To His Plan – (All revolves around who He is!)
1. The Alphabet of God – (Who He REALLY is!)
2. The Almighty – ( History is…His Story!) ( Is, Was, Is to come!)
Conclusion: These are very exciting days to be alive and especially to be a Christian. Prepare yourselves to be leaving this world soon! The time is short, Satan is working and God’s people need to be also!!
Victory Baptist Church 20 February 2019 victory palmetto.com