A MARRIAGE MADE IN HEAVEN Revelation 19:1-9
We all know that weddings can be spectacular. Wedding in heaven will be even more spectacular! You see, for the church, the end times shape up like this: In the Rapture, we will be Caught Up; at the Judgment Seat of Christ, we will be Cleaned Up; and at the marriage supper of the Lamb, we will be Cheered Up!
I. THE EXALTATION OF THE SAVIOR V. 1-6
A. V. 1 The Hallelujah Of God’s Salvation – Heaven praises the Lord for all He has done for them, (The cross, the blood, the empty grave, etc.) They are saved, they are in Heaven and they have a reason to shout!
B. V. 2-3 The Hallelujah Of God’s Sentence – The residents of Heaven praise the Lord for executing His judgment upon a lost, sinful and rebellious world! They know that His judgments are fair, they are right and they are perfect. Therefore, they praise His name!
C. V. 4-5 The Hallelujah Of God’s Sovereignty – If you take the time to look at the book of Revelation, these 24 elders who are mentioned show up about 6 times, (4:10; 5:8; 5:14; 7:11; 11:16; 19:4), and, every time they do, they are doing the same thing: falling on their faces and worshiping the Lord! Just to let you in on a secret, those 24 elders represent the redeemed of God. If you are saved, they picture YOU! Well, why are they praising the Lord so much? In Heaven, they are finally free from the limitations of the flesh and they can see God like He really is!
D. V. 6 The Hallelujah Of God’s Supremacy – Then, they praise the Lord for His reign. They glorify the Lord that, at last, He is honored, exalted and worshiped by all His creation! Thank God, there is coming a day when the Lord will have the glory and honor He deserves all the time. I look forward to being in that number when we stand around the throne and lift our “Hallelujahs” to the glory of God!
II. THE EXCITEMENT OF THE SUPPER V. 7-8
A. V. 7a The Excitement Of A Completed Plan – Notice the words “is come”. These words imply a sense of relief that a long anticipated event has finally arrived. Nothing could be truer!
At this moment, God’s plan for the ages is finally complete. Since man sinned in the Garden of Eden, God has been working to bring man back into fellowship with Him. This was accomplished when Jesus died on the cross for the sins of humanity. Now, all those who place their faith in Jesus are saved by the grace of God and brought nigh unto Him!
1 Thess. 4:17…we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
B. V. 7-8 The Excitement Of A Completed Presentation – It might help us to understand a little of the background for weddings of this type. In oriental weddings, there were typically three stages. There was the Betrothal Stage, the Presentation Stage and the Celebration Stage.
1. The Betrothal Stage – This was something like what we know in the west as an engagement. However, the major difference lies in the fact that this was a binding agreement! When a couple was betrothed, they were considered married! There was no getting out of it, except through a divorce or death! The bride of Christ is in the midst of this betrothal period right now! We have been picked by the Heavenly Father and we are married to Jesus right now! We are just waiting to go to Him.
2. The Presentation Stage – When the time of the wedding arrived, the Father of the groom would send the bridegroom and his friends to the bride’s home. They would get her and bring her back to the groom’s house, which he had prepared for her, with great celebration and joy. That is what we are waiting on today! We are married, we are just waiting on the Bridegroom to come and call His bride to come meet Him. Friend, that day is coming! Are you ready to meet Him when He comes?
3. The Festival Stage – Following the wedding, the couple, their friends and their families would enter a time of celebration. We will deal with that thought in a little more depth in a few moments.
C. V. 7b-8 The Excitement Of A Completed Preparation – Notice that the text says “his wife hath made herself ready.” Typically, oriental brides prepared their own wedding garments. It could be as elaborate our as simple as they chose to make it. Usually, it consisted of two pieces. One, an inner garment called a tunic and two, the outer garment called a toga. It was the bride’s responsibility to get herself ready for the wedding!
verse 8 says that the Bride of Christ will be clothed in white linen and that this linen is the righteousness of the saints! I take that to imply that how simply or how elaborately we are dressed may depend on the kind of life we lived while we were in this world!
There are three kinds of righteousness that a person can have.
1. Personal Righteousness – This is the righteousness you can produce all by yourself. It is basically evil and no good at all can come from it – Isa. 64:6. In our own righteousness, we are literally dressed in rags before the Lord.
2. Provided Righteousness – This is the righteousness we are given when we trust the Lord Jesus Christ as our Savior – 2 Cor. 5:21; Rom. 3:21-22. This refers to that tunic, or inner garment. We have been provided with a spotless inner garment of righteousness!
3. Practical Righteousness – This is the righteousness we live out each day we are in this world. It refers to how we conduct ourselves. How well we submit to authority. And. How we use the opportunities, gifts, responsibilities and privileges we are given as children of God. This speaks of the outer garment, or the toga, that the world sees. It is pure speculation, but how well we are dressed at the Wedding may depend on how we live here! It may be that the wedding garments will be handed out at the Judgment Seat of Christ, Matt. 22:1-12, and that they will reflect how we lived life here below! It is something worth thinking about!)
III. V. 9-10 THE EXPECTATION OF THE SAINTS
A. The Guests At The Wedding Supper – there will be guests at this heavenly wedding. Who? Well, it will be the Old Testament saints and the Tribulation saints. It will be a group made up of all Jews and Gentiles who were saved before Pentecost and after the Rapture! That will be quite an assembly!
B. The Glory Of The Wedding Supper – After an oriental wedding, there was always a celebration. The length and the opulence all depended on the wealth of the Bridegroom. When rich men married, their wedding celebrations might last up to 7 days!
The Lord Jesus is going to present His Bride with a celebration that will last 1,000 years! After the wedding, we will return with Him to this earth. He will put down His enemies and establish His throne on this earth. Then, He and His bride will reign together, during the millennium, for 1,000 years!)
C. The Groom At The Wedding Supper – In a typical oriental wedding celebration, the groom would mingle with the guests to be sure that everyone had every need met.
Imagine what it will be to be in the presence of the Lord Jesus and have Him be occupied with seeing that our joy is full! Jesus will actually serve His people in that day, Luke 12:37! My, that is almost beyond the grasp of my mind!
The King Is Coming Revelation 19:11-21
When Jesus was here on the earth, He made many promises to His followers, but perhaps none is so great as His promise that He will indeed return to this earth one day, Matt. 24:27-30. In fact, the last recorded words of the Lord Jesus in the Bible are these, “Surely I come quickly.”, Rev. 22:20!
The fact of the matter is, Jesus is coming again! We have already seen that He will return in the Rapture to claim His people and take them to Heaven, John 14:1-3; 1 Cor. 15:51-52; 1 Thes. 4:13-17. However, just as every coin in your pocket has two parts, so does the return of Jesus. The first part is when He returns in the clouds to receive His bride and the second part is when He returns in glory to defeat His enemies and to reign upon the earth.
IV. V. 11-16 HIS COMING WILL BE VISIBLE
When Jesus returns the second time in glory and power, everyone, everywhere will know about it, Rev. 1:7. Look at what these first verse tell us about this visible event.
A. V. 11-13, 16 The Appearance Of Jesus
These precious verses tell us something of what Jesus will look like when He returns to the earth the second time. Notice what the Bible says about The Appearance Of Jesus.
1. V. 11-12 His Nature – From this description, it is clear to see that Jesus is a little different than He was the first time He came!
A. V. 12 He Is Full Of Glory – This verse tells us that Jesus Christ wears on His head many crowns. These are not crowns like the Anti-Christ wore! In Rev. 6:2, we are told that he was “given” “a” crown. The word used there refers to a victors crown, a “stephanos”. Very literally, it has reference to the olive leaf crowns that were given to the victors in the Greek Olympic games.
On the other hand, Jesus wear many crowns. This word is “diadems” and refers to the crowns of royalty. While Anti-Christ had to be given a crown, Jesus already wears them!
B. V. 11 He Is Faithful And True – I am sure for many that it looked like Jesus would never return, but He is Faithful and True! He can be depended on to keep His Word forever! What He says He will do, He will do!
C. V. 11 He Fights In Righteousness – All down through history, there have been wars. Many have been fought for foolish reasons. In fact, all wars boil down to one thing: sin! They all come from the fact that men want to be God. They try to place themselves in a position where they will be in total charge of the world. When they do this, other men stand up and say, “No, you will not reign over us!” And, a war is the result.
Jesus, on the other hand, wages righteous war! His cause is a just cause! He fights the battle of the Lord! We may like to think of Jesus as a Man of peace, and He is the Prince of Peace! However, the Bible also makes it clear that He is a Man of War, Ex. 15:3! Certainly, God will pursue peace, but if man will not repent, there will come a day when that man must do battle with the Lord. He will not allow unrighteousness and sin to go unchallenged! He will make war with the enemies of God!
2. V. 12-13, 16 His Names – When the Lord Jesus returns, three new names are attached to Him. These names reveal much about His character and Person.
A. V. 12 The Name Of Mystery – The Bible tells us that Jesus has a name written on Him that no man can know. It seems that refused to know the Name of Jesus except as a by-word, now they cannot know Him at all!
(Friend, the time to know Jesus is now! He is revealing Himself to men as the Savior of the sinner’s soul. However, there is coming a day when men will not be able to know Him as Savior, but only as Judge! I beg you to call on the name of Jesus while He is still saving souls. Do not wait until He returns in judgment. In that day you will not even be able to know His Name!)
B. V. 13 The Name Of Ministry – He is also called the Word of God. This is the name of His ministry. Ever since He stepped onto the scene, Jesus has ministered through His Word. In Genesis 1, He merely spoke and this vast universe and all it contains came into being. When He walked in this world, He made the Word of God live in the eyes of men, John 1:1; 14. When He returns in power and glory, He will speak the word and all His enemies will be slain before Him in that day!
(Ill. My I say to you that Jesus is ministering right now through His Word! It is the Word of God that reveals our sins. It is the Word of God that points us to a redeeming Savior. It is the Word of God that tells us how to live! Today, that Word can be such a blessing in your life! However, if you refuse to receive the Word of God and come to Jesus for salvation. One day, you will face the Word of God in judgment. In that day, it will contain no words of mercy for you, but only damnation and judgment. Today is the only time you really have to get ready to meet the Lord, 2 Cor. 6:2.)
C. V. 16 The Name of Majesty – This verse tells us that when Jesus returns, He will have a name embroided on the thigh of His garment. This name is a title that He has always deserved, but has one which has never been acknowledged by men. In fact, while He was here on earth, His own people refused to acknowledge Him as King, John 19:15. Pilate, the Roman Governor, placed a cruel mocking title over His head as He hung on the cross, Matt. 27:37 which read, “THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS.” My friends, Jesus is far more than just the king of the Jews, Jesus is the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords! One day, He will return in power and the world will be forced to admit that which they have always denied: that Jesus is indeed King! What a day that will be!
B. V. 14 The Armies Of Jesus – Every king has an army and the Lord Jesus is no exception. He has an army that large and of a special nature. Notice how His army is dressed. They are wearing “fine linen, white and clean”. There is no armor and no mention of them having weapons. Isn’t this a strange way of sending soldiers into battle? Well, it would be if it were any other army! But, this is the army of Heaven and the King, Jesus Christ, does all the fighting Himself!
(Ill. Who is in this army? Well, the attire gives us a little clue. Look at verse 14 and then look at verse 8. It would appear from the apparel that this army is the Bride of Christ. In other words, it is made up of you and me. We will be riding in that army when the Lord Jesus returns to claim victory over His enemies. If you don’t know how to ride a horse, don’t worry, you’ll know then!)
C. V. 15 The Armaments Of Jesus – When Jesus returns to fight this battle, He doesn’t bring guns, tanks, artillery, or nuclear weapons. He merely brings His Word! Remember that His Word is “sharper than any two-edged word.”, Heb. 4:12. It has the power to help men and it has the power to judge men. Instead of needing vast arsenals of weaponry, all Jesus needs is a Word and His enemies are forever defeated! Notice the words of Isaiah 11:4, “But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked.”
I. His Coming Will Be Visible
II. V. 17-18 HIS COMING WILL BE VIOLENT
A. V. 17 The Fowls Are To Be Called – The slaughter will be so great when the Lord does battle, that God calls for the fowls of the air to come and help dispose of the bodies of the slain. Revelation 14:20 tells us that the blood will be to the horse’s bridle! What a slaughter that will be!
B. V. 18 The Flesh Is To Be Consumed – Notice that all levels of the army of God’s enemies are on the menu for this great supper. In life, they were separated by class and by rank. Here we see slave and freeman; small and great. All are reduced to nothing more than food for the scavengers in that day!
I. His Coming Will Be Visible
II. His Coming Will Be Violent
III. V. 19-21 HIS COMING WILL BE VICTORIOUS
A. V. 19 Earth’s Armies Will Be Drawn To Armageddon – All the armies of the world, armies that are enemies today, will join together to fight against the Lord Jesus when He returns. Armies that were fighting with one another just before Jesus comes back will join forces in an effort to defeat the Lord and His army. But, this is meant to be! God will raw them here to His killing field so that He might execute His wrath upon all the enemies of the Lord! Their desire shall be to put an end to the Lord and all He represents. They will fail miserably!
B. V. 20-21 Earth’s Armies Will Be Destroyed At Armageddon – the two verses tell us the amazing news of how this battle turns out.
1. V. 20 The Devilish Duo Are Destroyed – Throughout the Tribulation Period, the Anti-Christ and the False Prophet had lead people to believe that they were superhuman. They had used deception to convince the word that the Anti-Christ was, in fact, God. Their plan was so convincing that the world bowed down in reverence to the beast.
However, when the Lord returns, it quickly becomes apparent that these men, despite all their bluster and their miracles, were nothing more than men. These men are taken and they receive a fate worse than death. They are cast alive into the Lake of Fire! They are sent directly into Hell. Jesus will claim absolute victory over these men.
2. V. 21 The Doomed Multitudes Are Destroyed – With the image of the great leaders being taken alive and cast into Hell still burning before their eyes, the Lord Jesus will speak the Word and all these armies will be destroyed in an instant of time! Their blood will saturate the cloths of the Lord Jesus, verse 13, and the fowls of the air will devour their rotting flesh. Without firing a single shot, Jesus will prove Himself greater than every opposing army and greater than all the military might men can muster against Him. What a horrible day that will be for all the enemies of the Lord! But, what a glorious day it will be for those who love Him, look for Him and for those special ones who ride with Him!
Victory Baptist Church 09 October 2019 victorypalmetto.com