Scripture: The Landmark Of Scripture Genesis 3:1-4; 2 Timothy 3:13-17
A. Last week, we saw the necessity of spiritual “landmarks” that define all that we believe. Once again, a “landmark” defines a boundary and is a point from whence all other points can be measured. It is to be both stationary and unchanging!
1. If these “landmarks” are removed, we will soon find ourselves drifting from the spiritual truths that we once held dear. Today’s denominations have drifted far from the “moorings” of their founder’s intentions. Most denominations were started by godly men who revered and feared the Lord while remaining true to the Word of God.
2. If these “landmarks” are removed, these spiritual truths that we once held dear will not be known by our posterity. Today’s children are a lost generation! With little or no values, either spiritual or moral—the have become the children of apostasy!
B. Eleven times in the first two chapters of Genesis it is recorded that “God said.” The first times that what God had said was recorded. What God commanded was done and stood fast.
C. In chapter 3, we find the first mention of something questioning what “God said.” It was satanic in nature so to question what God has said is both evil and devastating to mankind.
D. The first attack upon a scriptural “landmark” is found in our text as Satan questioned the Word of God thus deceiving Eve and causing Adam to fall.
E. I am preaching on the Landmark of Scripture first because of its importance. Our Bible is the foundation upon which our faith stands. Not upon the original manuscripts because we have never seen one much less owned one. Not upon men who are quick to generate doubt and then constantly change their theology. Our Foundation is the Bible that we hold in our hands this morning.
F. Our text, found in 2 Timothy, tells us all that we need to know about God’s Word.
1. The Word of God is inspired. Verse 15-16. Paul is speaking of the scriptures that Timothy had, not original autographs. What Timothy had was called “holy scriptures.” The Word of God declares that what Timothy held was “given by inspiration of God.”
2. The Word of God is profitable. Verse 16. If the intent of verse 16 was to show that the original autographs were inspired, then—because Timothy did not have one—then Timothy could not profit from what he did not have. The Bible is profitable doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness.
3. The Word of God is perfecting. It will “throughly furnish” God’s men and God’s people.
G. I will stop with that because, if you do not believe that “all scripture” refers to “all scripture,” then nothing else that I have to say will convince you.
H. The Bible is the foundation for our faith and the practice of our faith. It is the ABSOLUTE FINAL AUTHORITY!
Psalms 11:3 If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do? (The answer to this question is understood: WE CAN DO NOTHING! If the Bible errs, then all that we know and believe becomes unsure. If the Bible errs, then our authority must be shifted to those who translate and re-interpret. To those who know where every error occurs and can “straighten us out?” I THINK NOT!)
J. The Bible is THE FINAL AUTHORITY FOR FAITH AND PRACTICE! The Bible is not a man book, it is a God Book. The Bible is our Foundation!
1. In The Landmark of Scripture We Find Our Sovereign God. Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. (He is, He was, and He will forever be the Creator and Owner of the universe.)
2. In The Landmark of Scripture We Find Our Sinfulness – Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (From Adam to Self, the Bible is clear on the matter of sinfulness.)
3. In The Landmark of Scripture We Find Our Saviour – Psalms 40:7 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me, (All we need to know about God’s gift of His Son, Jesus Christ is found there.)
4. In The Landmark of Scripture We Find Our Salvation – Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Saving faith is found in the Bible through repentance and belief.)
- In The Landmark of Scripture We Find Our Security – John 10:27-28 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. (Salvation is eternal life.)
6. In The Landmark of Scripture We Find Our Satisfaction – Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food. (How sweet to the taste is the Word of God.)
7. In The Landmark of Scripture We Find Our Stability – 2 Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (17) That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. (In the Bible, we have all that we need to live for Christ in this life.)
8. In The Landmark of Scripture We Find Our Surety – Revelation 22:20-21 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. (21) The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen. (Our Lord is coming, we are leaving, and everything will be alright.)
Victory Baptist Church 21 September 2022 victorypalmetto.com